[c-nsp] Question about Multiple Spanning Tee (MST)

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Thu Apr 23 23:50:03 EDT 2009

Generally, you want to split your vlans between the MST instances based
upon administrative control.  All the vlans in a particular instance
have to share the same spanning tree topology.  I would put vlans into
difference instances based upon the following.

a) in-band mgmt vlan
b) splitting vlans into two or more groups which will have different
blocking points in order to implement load sharing
c) groups of vlans where you want to have independent control so you can
change the blocking point without affecting the MST instances.  This
could be grouped based upon departments or vlan function  (Internet,
DMZ,  Enterprise, ...).  You may have a requirement to have red and blue
vlans take diverse links (if possible) across the switched network.

I would come up with a MST instance plan that covers all the vlans you
might want to use so your not modifying the MST configuration all the
time.

Clinton.