[c-nsp] 6500 SXD7b VRRP issue

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Apr 24 18:25:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Kevin Loch wrote:

>> all the interfaces on this router running VRRP started having their states
>> change from backup to master to backup every few seconds.  After about 40
>> seconds of this, it settled down and all the VRRP states went back to their
>> original state.  While this was going on, the other 6500 participating in
>> the VRRPs (which was the master) logged nothing and thought it was the
>> master the whole time.
>
> This is likely a side effect of the cpu being maxed out, or encountering
> control plane rate limiting.  Was there something that spiked the cpu
> or exeeded your control plane limits that caused both the BGP session to
> drop and the vrrp flaps?  Loops on the switch that include cpu affecting
> packets (like vrrp for example) can easily do this.

It's not control plane rate limiting.  Because the BGP peer that went down
was a transit peer (~280k routes), the CPU would likely have been quite
busy dealing with the routing changes.

Do I need to tune process-max-time to keep VRRP from failing during
periods of high CPU usage?  I don't think I've messed with that since
AS5200s.