[c-nsp] WS-C2950G-24-EI memory upgrade

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Sun Apr 26 11:17:22 EDT 2009

Hi there.

We have several WS-C2950G-24-EI switches (AC and DC versions) running.. Most
of them are running 12.1(13)EA1 code and we'd like to upgrade into
12.1(22)EA13 with crypto.

These switches have 8 meg flash and 8 meg DRAM today - upgrade in software
requires 8 meg flash and 16 meg DRAM.  Has anyone done a memory upgrade on
these?  Is it just a matter of cracking the case and putting a DIMM module
in?

I'm just trying to understand if anyone has done this and any surprises they
might have encountered - these switches are in remote locations that involve
many hours of driving to reach.. rather only do the drive once ;)  Searched
Google and Cisco.com and come up pretty empty - do most people just replace
these switches?  I hate to go that route if some additional memory can just
be popped in...

Thanks in advance,

Paul