[c-nsp] Anybody here is running IPv6

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:11:03 EDT 2009

While this is a great conversation, and I hope people continue to jump in, I
have something to say in response to the following excerpt:

... and The Ugly:
	1) there are no Cisco training classes for IPv6-based services.
		Oh, sure, there's an -intro- to IPv6.  But nothing in terms
of
		migration planning, scaling, firewalling, application
support,
		nothing.

Cisco is making forward progress on this ... one step is migrating IPv6
(slowly!) into the certificatino process.

Additionally, there are a couple of courses; an ~intro level course
(IP6FDv2) and a more advanced course (DDINv2; which also has a "specialized"
day for either Enterprise or Service Provider).  ((Admittedly, still a bit
light on the firewalling and application side.  Not sure what you would like
to see from Cisco on the Application side ... ?))

Additionally (^2), for the IOS-XR side of the world, an IPv6 course is being
developed - IIRC, focussing on the configuration details and design goals.
	I have no ETA on that, but feel free to have your SEs push that up
the chain :).

And finally, there are some books out there from Cisco Press ... on the
technical side, Chip's "Deploying IPv6 Networks" and Hogg's/Vyncke's "IPv6
Security" are top notch.

I guess what I am trying to say is I wouldn't call it "ugly" - certainly not
ideal yet, but better than it could be!
As for Ugly#2, TAC not being sufficiently IPv6 clueful ... I have to agree
with that!
/TJ

PS - In the interest of full disclosure, I suppose I should add a disclaimer
- I was part of the development team for IP6FD and DDIN, and have taught
both of them a couple of times.

PPS - IPv6 enabled at work and at home(home is via 6to4, for now) ...
dual-stack FTW.

appear to
>		be multiple issues. TAC case opened.
>
>	3) if you -want- to use the GUI, you can't use it for IPv6. at all.
>

>and The Ugly:
>
>	1) there are no Cisco training classes for IPv6-based services.
>Oh,
>		sure, there's an -intro- to IPv6.  But nothing in terms of
>		migration planning, scaling, firewalling, application
support,
>		nothing.
>
>	2) if you mention IPv6 to the TAC, your time for support resolution
>		increases exponentially; the image given is that nobody
there