[c-nsp] ICMP unreachable packets handling on IOS firewall (Zone-based not CBAC)

Anthony GUENEAU anthony.gueneau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 15:24:43 EDT 2009

Hello,

Forget about it. I solved the issue by clamping the TCP MSS (maximum segment
size) to 1200 bytes on packets flowing through the corresponding router
interfaces.
I used the following command in config-int: ip tcp adjust-mss 1200.
This trick prevent IP fragmentation along the path by forcing senders to
reduce their TCP MSS and so the MTU. Now the MTU=1240
Anyway, for your information, I got the confirmation the IOS firewalls do
ignore ICMP unreachable packets!

Thanks anyway!

Regards,
Anthony GUENEAU