[c-nsp] 7500 for DSL aggregation - RSP memory error?

jp jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Wed Aug 5 10:34:23 EDT 2009

We use a 7507 for about 800 DSL customers.

We've found it works more reliably and uses quite a bit less electricity
using DC power. We'd had some random crashes on AC power from little
power issues that weren't enough to activate UPSs. Then I got some DC
power supplies on Ebay for less than the cost of shipping, and a big old
loraine DC power supply from a tadiran phone switch.

We use cold spares for parts. I've played with the redundant RSPs, but
its not a very clean cutover, and it takes a couple minutes before
everyting is happy. I've seen issues too where something breaks, but
things don't switch over.

I'm looking for even more power savings and wouldn't mind something
non-cisco for the ATM DSL aggregation. It'll probably eventually go
ethernet based instead of ATM, so I wouldn't be inclined to invest big
in a short term solution. Basically, it's in a rural area with bad power
reliability, and more power use == shorter battery runtime and more
frequent generator refueling.

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:59:37PM -0400, Joe Maimon wrote:
> I view the rpr feature as completely useless in the real world.
>
> Cold spare are way more effective.
>
> The last time I had a rp failure, it was fixed by yanking one and leaving
> the other.
>
> In other words, odds are it causes more issues than it resolves.
>
> Just added complexity for a box where its already a support problem.
>
> Terminate your atm into an atm switch and run a bank of agg routers, 7200
> or 7500.
>
> Then you can bridge group them into both, or just manual throw pvc's from
> one router to the other.
>
> The 7500 are not worth the watts they consume.
>

> Walter Keen wrote:
>> Yes, I believe it was you.  We are trying to migrate from a 7200 to a 7500
>> to gain route processor redundancy.  Our traffic is typically 20mbit peak
>> from this site between 2 atm ds3's.  Using radius, pppoa, and some dsl
>> subs are behind NAT, but we're slowly weeding them out into having a
>> typical dsl connection with a public ip.  Probably about 1k subscribers,
>> and in the next year or two we'll probably be moving them to an
>> ethernet-based handoff from the carriers to us.
>>
>> Rodney Dunn wrote:
>>> Probably me. ;)
>>>
>>> There were some issues around DSL termination in to a VRF that would not
>>> work.
>>>
>>> The platform was never targeted for that market space so I wouldn't use
>>> it.
>>>
>>> 72xx, 10k, or ASR would be the pick.
>>>
>>> The ISR's on really really low end side.
>>>
>>> Rodney

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/