[c-nsp] MPLS QoS at SPA-5X1GE-V2, SIP 400, 7604RSP720 (Ruzhanskaya Olga)

Nigel Roy nigel at theroys.me.uk
Mon Aug 10 15:14:06 EDT 2009

Hi Olga,

Came across the same problem as you recently on some of our 7600 PE routers.

Like you I raised it as a TAC case as I thought it was a bug but after a couple of weeks the TAC engineer discovered exactly what you say.

For locally routed packets (IP-IP) the set mpls exp overwrites the DSCP value. Works fine when going from IP-MPLS though! Because you can never be certain whether packets are going to be locally or MPLS switched the command becomes useless.

They did say they would try and find an alternative but they never cam up with anything.

The alternative I have tested is what we are thinking of using. This uses the global dscp-exp mutation map.

This is enabled by default but obviously is overridden by the policy-map set mpls exp command.

This worked in the tests I have done but the documentation states "“This command is supported in PFC3BXL or PFC3B mode only.” This is not a problem for us as the hardware we are using matches the requirement.

The following is used in global config to modify the default setting for the dscp-exp map:

mls qos map dscp-exp 46 to 5
mls qos map dscp-exp 10 18 26 40 45 to 2
mls qos map dscp-exp 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 to 1

The only other possibility I started to look at was "table-maps" however they were not supported in the IOS we use and I am not even sure if there is an IOS for the 7600s that supports them.

Regards Nigel