[c-nsp] Linux Com Driver to Modem on Cisco Terminal Server

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Aug 10 18:14:53 EDT 2009

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Gregory Boehnlein wrote:

> 	Received a request from a client that needs to access a modem on a
> Cisco router from standard serial applications on a Linux box. These are for
> standard applications that do modem control (I.E. ATDT1XXXXXXXXX etc..) and
> not PPP.
>
> 	There used to be a few piece of software out there that did it, but
> I can't seem to find any of them. Anyone have any solutions for this?

Depending on how low-level you want to get, you could probably do what you
need with Minicom, Kermit, Seyon (X11), and a few others.  Some of these
can also work with scripts to automate tasks.

More info on how serial com devices are created and used in Linux may be
found at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

jms