[c-nsp] Linux Com Driver to Modem on Cisco Terminal Server

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Aug 11 03:10:25 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 06:14:53PM -0400, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Gregory Boehnlein wrote:
>
> >	Received a request from a client that needs to access a modem on a
> >Cisco router from standard serial applications on a Linux box. These are
> >for
> >standard applications that do modem control (I.E. ATDT1XXXXXXXXX etc..) and
> >not PPP.
> >
> >	There used to be a few piece of software out there that did it, but
> >I can't seem to find any of them. Anyone have any solutions for this?
>
> Depending on how low-level you want to get, you could probably do what you
> need with Minicom, Kermit, Seyon (X11), and a few others.  Some of these
> can also work with scripts to automate tasks.

I think the issue here is "the modem is not connected to the linux box"
(but built-in to the Cisco router), so you need some glue logic to
connect /dev/ttySOMETHING on the Linux side to the Cisco modem
("telnet cisco 20xx").

Unfortunately, I do not have an *answer* for that question either.

I did some googling, and found one page mention "ser2net" (which is not
exactly what Gregory needs, but could be tweaked) and another page
mentioned that "socat" has a "pty" option that will connect a pseudo
tty on one side to "whatever you want on the other side" - this could
be a port on the Cisco side.

Further hits mentioned:

 - Tibbo VSPDL - http://soi.tibbo.com/vspdl.html, a kernel level "virtual
   serial port" driver

 - TTY redirector - http://www.ttyredirector.com/
   (commercial, but targets *exactly* this problem - "an application on
   the Linux side, talking to a Cisco ASxxx server" [among others])

 - Remserial - http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de