[c-nsp] Bridge devices - ARP takeover

Graham Wooden graham at g-rock.net
Thu Aug 13 14:41:52 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I have a customer hanging off of my edge router
(6509/Sup32/12.2.33SXI), doing a Point-to-Point wireless shot from the
DC to another site.
On myside, it's a L3 VLAN doing a /30 to a smaller Cisco router on the
other end. I am then statically routing some additional subnets to the
far end router.

After about 30 minutes of the link being powered up, the MAC address
of local Radio appears to take over the /30, and hence all routing
breaks.  To fix this, seems to that if I hardcode the MAC that belongs
to the Cisco router on the far, all seems good and traffic keeps on
trucking. The other fix that was being done until the hardcode went
into affect, was power cycling the local radio.

My question is this:  While the hardcoding seems to be the trick to
solve this, is there another command, maybe on the interface to
achieve this fix too?
I have yet to find out from the customer if there are any MAC/ARP
settings in his radios and that could be doing take over on purpose.

I am hoping that I can curb this type of behaviour without getting him
involved.
Thoughts to this?  Thanks,

-graham