[c-nsp] Open Source Substitute for Cisco's Secure ACS?

Scott McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 13 14:46:03 EDT 2009

Not so much - we use ACS for TACACS services and proxy the TACACS via
RADIUS for some application but Cisco ACS is now an appliance and on the
close order of 8K + SmartNet so you are looking at 20K $US for a new
solution.

RADIATOR is open-source but not 'free' it has 200+ authenticators and
interfaces to billing systems built in and a basic license and support
for 1 yr is under $2000 US

Nothing wrong with FreeRADIUS it's just you need to 'roll your own' for
a lot of stuff,  If your time is worth nothing or it's a hobby or
experimental setup FreeRADIUS may be the better choice. But if you want
someting with AD, LDAP, Kerberos, Unix, NTLM, SQL  etc built in and
ready to go  RADIATOR is your tool.

- Scott