[c-nsp] Monitoring Nexus 7000 platform

Justin C. Darby jcdarby at usgs.gov
Thu Aug 13 18:09:51 EDT 2009

We use DCNM for real-time monitoring here (e.g. we use it to
troubleshoot issues as they arise) - works great for this purpose,
though in my opinion the configuration interface is a little
over-complicated compared to just using the CLI, which is a bad sign. :)

The XML interface is very, very well documented. Each revision of NX-OS
ships with a new XML spec package to describe the interfaces. You can do
a lot more than just monitor things with the XML interfaces - e.g.
automate port provisioning tasks in an in-house product/app. We're
planning to use some of this functionality to integrate switch
configurations into our inventory system (eventually).

If you hit up the downloads page for NX-OS you should see a zip file of
XML specifications in there.

Justin