[c-nsp] Funny (and hard to describe) AWOL routes

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Thu Aug 13 20:30:51 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I've got a problem that I unfortunately don't know a heck of a lot about,
which I understand makes answering this question difficult.  But I thought
I'd pick people's brains in the hopes of at least getting pointed in the
right direction.

Here's the deal.  I run EIGRP for the internal network, and BGP to talk to
the outside world.  Occasionally, I go to add a new block or router to the
EIGRP network, and it just won't work.  Strangely, all the "show ip route"
commands look good, but traffic just won't get where it's supposed to go.
Crazily, sometimes I can get 20-40% of packets through to the internet,
but traffic to the internal network is usually lost.  However, it
sometimes seems as if the traffic might be lost at a border router we
have, which is currently getting two full route tables on a Sup2 running
IOS 12.1(26)E8.  (Yes, I know, impossible.)  In an effort to minimize
downtime, I can only poke around at things for so long, before performing
the wonky fix.

The fix...  Usually I can do something that will withdraw or otherwise
change the new announcement, and then put it back, and it will work.

The LAST time this happened, however, when I re-added the new block,
suddenly another block on our network became unreachable.  It was as if
the new block kicked the old one out.

To me, this smacks of a memory shortage somewhere, and it's occurred to me
that it may be that border router that has a bunch of EIGRP stuff AND the
BGP stuff.  I've heard tell of the TCAM filling, but that's supposed to
log messages, and I've seen none of those.  And does EIGRP use the TCAM?
Perhaps an OS bug?

Anyhow, I don't expect anyone to solve the mystery for me (unless they
immediately know what's causing it), but I was hoping for some direction.
Any commands I can run to quickly show me exhausted space, etc.?  I know
the Sup2 needs to be upgraded, but I find myself wondering if that will
fix the problem, or if this is a result of something else entirely.

This is not a horrendous problem, but it rears its head from time to time,
and makes things difficult.  Most frustrating of all is that I can't get a
bead on it, and have minimal time to troubleshoot on a production network.

Any ideas and/or pointers?

Thanks much!

Rick Kunkel