[c-nsp] Open Source Substitute for Cisco's Secure ACS?

Stephen Fulton sf at lists.esoteric.ca
Thu Aug 13 21:51:23 EDT 2009

For PPPoE, FreeRADIUS is very worthwhile.  The options the software provides on
on-par with the best commercial RADIUS software.  The downside?  It is not GUI
based (though you can write your own and link it to SQL/LDAP/etc, we have and I
suspect most ISP's do) and also, it does involve a learning curve.  If you are
willing to take the time to read the documentation, and look at the notes
associated with most functions (conveniently within the module configurations,
usually), and ask intelligent questions on the mailing list, then you'll be fine.

If you are looking to use TACACS, others have suggested good alternatives (we
will be using TACACS for change management, because it provides finer control
with IOS devices [thanks Cisco, grrr]).

Any migration should be thought through carefully, with a view to the future.
Generally I suggest looking ahead to what you'd like something to be, and use
this as an opportunity to make it so.

-- Stephen