[c-nsp] Shape users over quota

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Sun Aug 16 10:11:20 EDT 2009

First of all, you should use policing, not shaping. Although it's not as
user-friendly, it's not CPU-intensive (shaping is). See this article for
potential drawbacks:

http://wiki.nil.com/Policing_vs_shaping

A very simple implementation would push the policing rules to virtual access
interfaces through RADIUS groups (and you'd just switch the user between
groups when they exceed their quota).

Obviously, some people prefer that you'd use a dedicated box, myself
included (as we offer SCE training :)

http://www.nil.com/ls/NIL_SCEO10

In a large-scale environment it makes sense to use SCE, more so as it was
developed to address the exact needs you have (whereas anything you're doing
on a router is by necessity a kludge).

Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about
http://blog.ioshints.info/