[c-nsp] VSS 1440 issues

C and C Dominte domintefamily at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 09:01:47 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am still experiencing unknown unicast flooding with the Catalyst 6509 VSS 1440 configuration.

I have tried two more tests, to check if the flood will stop:

1. I turned off the routed-mac feature

#sh mac-addr aging-type routed
 Routed MAC aging : disabled

2. I configured the arp timeout for each VLAN interface to 900 seconds

To test if this solved the problem, I enabled 4 interfaces on Switch 2, and as soon as that was done, 100 mbps flood of unknon unicast was sent to all trunk ports.

I pasted below the MAC address aging time that is currently 3 times the syncronisation time:

Syncronisation time:

    Global Status:
Status of feature enabled on the switch             :  on
Default activity time                               :  160
Configured current activity time                    :  640

Mac address aging:

#sh mac-addr aging-time
Vlan    Aging Time
Global  1920
no vlan age other than global age configured

I am really out of ideas as to what can cause this loop, that then generates the unknown unicast flood. Has anyone experienced anything similar and can offer any advice on why this is happening?

Thank you

Catalin