[c-nsp] Order of Operations for processing a packet (ingress and egress)

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Aug 18 14:12:57 EDT 2009

Does anyone have any good links to an order of operations for what
happens in what order on the assorted types of Cisco interfaces in both
the ingress and egress directions?

I found one that touchs on the QoS order of operations:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk757/technologies_tech_note09186a0080160fc1.shtml

I'm interested in fairly detailed things like at what point does a
vanilla IP packet go through the MPLS label imposition process (on
ingress as it's received or egress onto an MPLS-enabled interface).  Or
at what point is a packet encapsulated on a GRE interface.  I'm looking
for a reference that talks about router ports, WAN & LAN ports on a Cat
routing chassis like the 7600, basic LAN switchports on Cat switches,
etc.  I've never seen a doc that put it all together and I seldom come
across docs that even talk about small portions of the order of
operations.  Any references would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  Justin