[c-nsp] Order of Operations for processing a packet (ingress and egress)

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Tue Aug 18 15:15:54 EDT 2009

I don't believe there is a comprehensive one published on CCO besides
the following document for the 7600.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

If we just consider LAN modules, then all encapsulation operations are
done by the ingress PFC or DFC responsible for a particular module. The
egress module just performs queuing for the packet. Now egress multicast
replication is an exception to this.

WAN modules essentially behave the same as LAN ports, except they take
an ethernet frame from the fabric and modify it to be ppp etc. The
exception cases are when it comes to VPLS, Selective QinQ, ... where the
 WAN module actually does do the forwarding function. If you ask your
AM/SE you should be able to arrange a presentation on how all forwarding
works, since all the detailed presentations I know of are under NDA.

Ian