[c-nsp] Cisco SSL VPN?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Aug 21 16:22:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Charles Mills wrote:

> Anyone currently (successfully) using the SSL VPN on an ASA box (5520 or above)?
>
> I'm in uncharted territory with this feature and not sure if it is
> worth going down this route.

I've deployed it for a client and it seems to work pretty well, though as
far as I know they're not doing anything terribly exotic.

One important gotcha:
The SSL VPN connections are licensed independently from IPSEC connections.
The base license allows for only two concurrent connections at least on
the smaller ASAs, so you might need to purchase a license upgrade if you
want to roll it out on a larger scale.  If you do a "show version" on the
ASA, the number of WebVPN peers is the number you need to know.

Cisco has made it clear that they're moving in this direction, as they
don't seem to be putting much new development effort into the IPSEC client
- it doesn't support 64-bit OSen, and I doubt they'll spin many cycles
testing Windows 7, etc...  They seem to want people to move to the
AnyConnect (SSL VPN) model.

jms