[c-nsp] QoS on 3750 VRF-Lite CE

Matthew Melbourne matt at melbourne.org.uk
Tue Aug 25 17:40:08 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a 3750 CE device connecting to an FE port on a 6509 PE over a 100M
WAN Link. The 3750 is running VRF-Lite, and a trunk exists between the 3750
CE and 6509 PE to provide VRF separation.

Configuration of the 3750 CE:

interface FastEthernet 1/0/1.100
encapsulation dot1q 100
ip address 10.0.100.2 255.255.255.252
ip vrf forwarding VRF-100
!
interface FastEthernet 1/0/1.101
encapsulation dot1q 101
ip address 10.0.101.2 255.255.255.252
ip vrf forwarding VRF-101
!
interface vlan 10
ip address 10.100.0.1 255.255.255.0
ip vrf forwarding VRF-100
!
interface vlan 20
ip address 10.101.0.1 255.255.255.0
ip vrf forwarding VRF-101

Configuration of the C6509 PE:

interface FastEthernet 5/1.100
encapsulation dot1q 100
ip address 10.0.100.1 255.255.255.252
ip vrf forwarding VRF-100
!
interface FastEthernet 5/1.101
encapsulation dot1q 101
ip address 10.0.101.2 255.255.255.252
ip vrf forwarding VRF-101

If I need to enforce QoS on a per-VRF basis, e.g. require a traffic class to
be guaranteed a minimum bandwidth of (say) 5Mbps within VRF-100 between CE
and PE, where should the service policy be applied? Can a hierarchical
policy using shapers be applied to the sub-interfaces to achieve the desired
result?

Cheers,

Matt

--