[c-nsp] QoS on 3750 VRF-Lite CE

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Aug 25 18:03:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 22:40 +0100, Matthew Melbourne wrote:
> I have a 3750 CE device connecting to an FE port on a 6509 PE over a 100M
> WAN Link. The 3750 is running VRF-Lite, and a trunk exists between the 3750
> CE and 6509 PE to provide VRF separation.
> If I need to enforce QoS on a per-VRF basis, e.g. require a traffic class to
> be guaranteed a minimum bandwidth of (say) 5Mbps within VRF-100 between CE
> and PE, where should the service policy be applied? Can a hierarchical
> policy using shapers be applied to the sub-interfaces to achieve the desired
> result?

The short answer is probably "no can do", the 3750 isn't that advanced
regarding QoS.

AFAIK the QoS part of the 3750 doesn't care at all about VRFs as such.
You would have to define you match criteria based on L3/L4 access-lists.

And shaping isn't (easily) possible either. You theoretically have the
SRR Shaping, which sort of works by simple time division and buffer
partitioning as I understand. But this is configured using the MQC,
rather the 3750/3560-specific "mls qos" commands.

Regards,
Peter