[c-nsp] cisco router 2800/3800 serie

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Aug 26 04:18:55 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 09:48 +0200, Arne Larsen wrote:
> Can someone give me a hint what to use. We have 40 locations with
> different users and these location is to be migrated to fiber 20Mb
> from adsl.
> We want to run MPLS on these routers, because there is administration
> guest-network etc.
> Which router would be efficient for this, I have been looking on the
> 2800 & 3800 series, but I can't seem to find a doc. the describe what
> the throughputs is on these boxes.

The "Routing Performance" portable product sheet gives some numbers on
performance:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

You might consider the 3560 L3 switch instead; it lacks features but
delivers plenty of raw forwarding performance in a relatively cheap
package. It supports VRF-Lite with the services image and can do
prioritising QoS fine.

Otherwise we have used 2851 this, though typically with a number of HDLC
lines instead of fiber.

Regards,
Peter