[c-nsp] cisco router 2800/3800 serie

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 17:07:01 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 27/8/09, Justin Shore <justin at justinshore.com> wrote:

> Be careful with the 1841.  Though all the MPLS
> commands are technically there, MPLS is not a supported
> feature on the 1841.  Ie, a code update could remove
> the commands altogether and there would be nothing you could
> do about it.

I always refer to the below document when looking at whether a device officially supports MPLS. Of course Cisco can remove it in the future, but the 1841 is listed as the lowest model officially supporting MPLS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6557/prod_white_paper0900aecd8051fbdc.html

That document also gives Cisco recommendations on how many VRF's (and VRF routes) each model is reasonably capable of supporting.

I know of quite a few large implementations that have 1841 as managed CPE running MPLS on low speed (ie <10Mbps) links because it is the smallest/cheapest device that you can run proper MPLS on. If Cisco were to change this after the stance of officially saying that it supports MPLS there would be some great anger (which still doesn't mean that Cisco won't do this, you never know).

regards,
Tony.