[c-nsp] IPv6 experience on DSBU switches

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Aug 26 05:54:32 EDT 2009

Hi,

Janet Plato <plato at wisc.edu> wrote:

>  I'm finding IPv6 support lacking a few glaring things on 12.2(50)SE2.
> Things like the inability to enter an IPv6 address as a target for
> a radius server, or a hostname with only a Quad A record as well.
> When I ask Cisco, they view these things as features to be added, not
> bugs to be fixed.
>
>  I thought IPv6 was relatively well worked out.  Are other folks
> mostly able to get IPv6 going, or would you think it's reasonable
> to expect accepting an IPv6 address in a config to be a feature
> request?
>
> [snipped]
>
> I'm kind of shocked with the replies I am getting, and I am
> thinking maybe I just fail to grasp the current situation.

I think you only need to look to Cisco's 'next generation' wireless
offerings to answer your questions...it seems they not care too much for
IPv6; their presentations say one thing, the product line and IOS's say
quite a different story. :-/

You should see what plans I have to get our 3750's to make SLAAC
actually accountable (in a ARP inspection-esque sense) and usable on our
network... :)

I think the 'backporting' of the IPv6 support in ipservices into ipbase
was only because everyone 'else' supports IPv6 and Cisco were no longer
able to justify the considerable markup.

The sad part is that no one can get the in production experience of IPv6
because the vendors do not support it.  You generally have to make do
with what you can and use Linux as 'duct-tape' for the bits that are
lacking...

Wait till you stumble on the lack of an 'ND proxy' or 'RA guard' :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Generic Fortune.