[c-nsp] IPv6 experience on DSBU switches

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 26 08:09:25 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:54:32AM +0100, Alexander Clouter wrote:
> The sad part is that no one can get the in production experience of IPv6
> because the vendors do not support it.  You generally have to make do
> with what you can and use Linux as 'duct-tape' for the bits that are
> lacking...

Oh, well, it's not *so* bad.

Some things are lacking, but the conclusion "the box cannot do radius
over IPv6 transport" == "not ready for production IPv6 deployment" is
not something I can agree to.

I expect that we'll have to run IPv4 in parallel for a few more years,
and if some parts of the device management functionality is not available
over IPv6 today, it won't stop us from offering IPv6 internet services...

> Wait till you stumble on the lack of an 'ND proxy' or 'RA guard' :)

Tell your account teams that you want it, and won't buy new hardware
unless they deliver...

OTOH - Cisco has working prototypes of SeND, while no other (!) operating
system out there supports it.  So where's the Linux duct-tape when you
need it...?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de