[c-nsp] Have I Gone Mad? (OSPF NSSA)

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Wed Aug 26 13:30:14 EDT 2009

> Actually... It did hurt somewhat :-/. Previous IOS that we
> were running (7600 SXx and SRBx) were injecting type 7.
> However, that behaviour changed with SRD2 and it injects
> both. Naturally, type 3 wins.

I wrote the article more than a year ago and the 12.4T behavior at that time
was the same as what you've described. Obviously you were running "somewhat"
older code :)

> I wonder why the behaviour changed... Then again, my fault
> for misconfiguring the darn thing to begin with :-)

Well, it makes sense to advertise type-3 default for "summary-only" as there
are no other type-3 LSAs (to make totally-NSSA identical to totally-stubby
area in this aspect), although this particular behavior is not part of OSPF
RFC.

Someone with more than just a few boxes probably made a lot of noise asking
for the behavior to change :))

Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about
http://blog.ioshints.info/