[c-nsp] IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 26 14:23:58 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:19:20PM +0200, Ivan Pepelnjak wrote:
> > There will be Lots Of Fun when IPv4 runs out, and whole new markets
> > of DSL customers (as in India, China, Arabia...) will not be able to
> > access web sites from vendors that have no IPv6 reachability.  Goodby,
> > sales to that region...
>
> Not gonna happen. Unfortunately there's so much stuff on the Internet that's
> only reachable via IPv4 (including www.wikipedia.org) that the few vendor
> sites don't matter at all.

Wikimedia images are already reachable over IPv6, the rest is going to
follow.  Some will continue to stick their head into the sand (especially
the Americans), others will just move ahead.

> All those new DSL (I hope not) markets will have
> to have some sort of IPv4 connectivity (Carrier Grade NAT raises its ugly
> head).

Vendor C would certainly love to build a CGN.  Guess how many million $ it
would cost...?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de