[c-nsp] IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Aug 26 16:23:08 EDT 2009

sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> With IPv6 you can get rid of DHCP, forget VPN's, forget DDNS, forget
>> HSRP, and most importantly you no longer need NATs that understand every
>> protocol that runs through it and so remove a possible single point of
>> failure.
>
> Some of us would disagree rather strongly with one or more of those
> points. For instance, for us DHCPv6 is a hard requirement.

Why the hard requirement?  Is this for a MAC<->IP association table?
I'm working on a method (might not work mind you) to make a SLAAC
network forfill this requirement...I have to so we meet our upstream
AUP requirements but running DHCPv6 kinda misses the point for why you
try to deploy IPv6. :)

If it's for service discovery, that should be via DNS or better still
multicast.  However I would kill for PXE booting IPv6, no practical
reasoning there though.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance.