[c-nsp] sh mac-addr dyn times out

C and C Dominte domintefamily at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 09:37:28 EDT 2009

I recently configured two Catalyst 6509 switches in a VSS
cluster. When I am issuing the command “show mac-address-table dynamic”, I’m
getting the following output:

Legend: * - primary entry
        age - seconds
since last seen
        n/a - not
available

  vlan   mac address
type    learn
age
ports
------+----------------+--------+-----+----------+--------------------------
MAC entries unavailable, please try later!
No entries present.

The command is issued periodically (every 5 minutes), to
read the MAC address table. After the VSS cluster was configured, I used to get
this output once in a while, but after a few weeks, almost every time this
command is issued, it returns this error. This did not happen before the
cluster was in place.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thank you

Catalin