[c-nsp] %CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE: Processing of Quick mode failed with peer at 11.22.33.44

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Aug 27 13:44:12 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 16:21 +0200, luismi wrote:
> I just configured a cisco 1841 to create a ipsec vpn against another
> network (exactly against a PFSense box) and I am seeing a lot messages
> like
>
> %CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE:  Processing of Quick mode failed with
> peer at 11.22.33.44
> %CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE:  Processing of Quick mode failed with
> peer at 11.22.33.44
> %CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE:  Processing of Quick mode failed with
> peer at 11.22.33.44
>
> I was checking the "Error Message Decoder" but I didn't find any
> useful information there.

Currently #3 result when searching cisco.com for the keywords
"CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE quick mode":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_tech_note09186a00801d55aa.shtml

This would lead my to think that there was no ISAKMP policy match
between the two endpoints.

> So far, the VPN seems to work ok.

Does this mean that the tunnel towards 11.22.33.44 is established even
with the above error message? And that the problem is then the
technically cosmetic but still problematic issue of the log message?

Or does the tunnel not work?

Regards,
Peter