[c-nsp] USB Insertion/Removal Causes Reboot

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Aug 28 03:29:44 EDT 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 10:25:37 am Clayton Zekelman
wrote:

> Has anyone seen an issue with a NPE-G2 where insertion or
> removal of a USB flashdrive causes the router to crash
> and reboot?

In an almost similar case, we noticed high CPU usage when
re-inserting a compact flash drive (back) into an NPE-G1/G2
running SRC code, to the extent that BFD complained and
brought down IS-IS on at least one of the network-facing
ports.

We chalked it down to the router re-initializing the compact
flash drive when it's re-inserted, eating up tons of CPU and
causing a couple of "ripples" with some of the software
processes.

It's been a while since we had to physically move the drives
from/into the router, and I'm not sure whether any other
customers have addressed this issue with Cisco, but we've
moved a couple of SRC revisions ahead, and don't know
whether it's still a problem.

Cheers,

Mark.