[c-nsp] Wierd memory issue with SXI/SXI1 on 6500 w/ SUP720-3BXL

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Aug 30 16:42:39 EDT 2009

Hi,

it's a bit hard to comment on this, as it is lacking the most important
bit - *which process* is losing the memory?  ("show proc mem sort",
run every few days, compare the output).

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:11:10AM -0700, Chris Phillips wrote:
> I did not have this issue with SXH* on this same device, but SXH is *SO*
> buggy, rolling back is not an option.  This leads me to believe that it
> is most likely a software issue.
>
> The router is heavily used with 250+ BGP sessions, OSPF, MPLS, v4/v6,
> etc, but I don't think it should be consuming and not releasing 4 mbytes
> of memory each day.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  Anyone know a workaround?

My guess would be "you have SXI and a high number of inactive/shutdown
BGP sessions".  SXI is leaking memory in this configuration.  It seems
to queue BGP updates for the inactive neighbors, and never release them
(obviously, since they are never sent...).

Fixed in SXI2.

There are voices that SXI2 also has mem leak issues, but we haven't seen
those yet.

(NB: SXH3a is quite good for us as well - no mem leaks, no crashes, no
ghost bugs.)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de