[c-nsp] CompactFlash card compatibility

Chris Scott chrisjscott at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 11:17:59 EST 2009

2009/12/3 Scott McGrath <mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu>:
> For a LONG time there was a 512MB limitation on filesystem size i.e. the
> Sup720's would recognize a 512MB CF card but not a 1Gb
> card.    Until this thread we were not aware that the limitation had been
> lifted on newer code.
> This is helpful as we have been scouring the universe for old 512Mb CF so as
> not to pay Cisco's outrageous prices for a commodity
> product.  esp since you can get a Toshiba 1Gb type I CF card at Sams Club
> for $15.00.
>
> - Scott
>

> Randy McAnally wrote:
>>
>> Definitely upgrade your software before anything else.
>>
>> --
>> Randy

The link Nick posted before mentions that the sup-bootflash upgrade
kit ships with 12.2(18)SXE5 or greater.  On reading the release notes,
the "New Hardware Features in Release 12.2(18)SXE5" section notes
"CompactFlash adapter with 512 MB CompactFlash card that replaces the
bootflash device.".  Reality suggests it's wider than just internal
slot capability and hardware support for 512MB and 1GB as the docs
indicate.  I guess honest documentation would harm the magnificent
margin with customers fortunate enough to afford list price Cisco
cards.

Summary so far seems to be:
Up to 4GB CF Type II card requires minimum SP ROMMON Release 8.4(2)
and IOS 12.2(18)SXE5.  Earlier versions than that and you're stuck
with <512MB cards.

--
Chris