[c-nsp] Cisco 871/881 "peer default ip address" command broken?

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Sun Dec 6 12:40:05 EST 2009

Chris,

Can you share the "debug ppp nego"?

Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Chris Conn
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 23:34
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Cisco 871/881 "peer default ip address" command broken?

Hello,

We have upgraded a number of devices to the lastest IOS
"c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-24.T2.bin", and for some reason, the command
"peer default ip address" seems broken.

interface Dialer1
  ip address negotiated
  ip mtu 1492
  ip nat outside
  no ip virtual-reassembly
  encapsulation ppp
  load-interval 30
  dialer pool 1
  dialer idle-timeout 0
  dialer persistent
  dialer-group 1
  peer default ip address 10.10.10.10
  no cdp enable
  ppp authentication pap callin
  ppp pap sent-username user password 0 password
  ppp ipcp route default
end

For reasons too long to explain here, we require in this type of config
that the 871/881 device force the use of a particular IP address even if

  the PPP server reports a different one.  This has worked up to and
including 124-15.T2.bin.    124-24.T2.bin no longer allows for this, the

connection is made but the IP address of the PPP server is missing in
the interface.  The PPP link is established however no data can be sent
or received.  The default route is also not installed.

With 124-15.T2.bin:

  Interface    User               Mode         Idle     Peer Address
   Vi1                             PPPoE        00:18:42 11.11.11.11

router>show ip route
Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
        D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
        N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
        E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
        i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS
level-2
        ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user
static route
        o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is 11.11.11.11 to network 0.0.0.0

      66.0.0.0/29 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C       66.1.1.88 is directly connected, FastEthernet4
      11.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, x subnets
C       11.11.11.11 is directly connected, Dialer1
C       11.1.1.88 is directly connected, Dialer1
S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 11.11.11.11

With 124-24.T2.bin

     Line       User       Host(s)              Idle       Location
*  0 con 0                idle                 00:00:00

   Interface    User               Mode         Idle     Peer Address
   Vi1                             PPPoE        00:00:39

telefax-test#show ip route
Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
        D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
        N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
        E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
        i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS
level-2
        ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user
static route
        o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

      11.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 3 subnets
C       11.1.1.88 is directly connected, Dialer1

If I remove the peer default IP address, I connect, however the real IP
of the PPP server is accepted as the next hop and this is undesireable
in this config.

I am hoping somebody can tell me this is an oversight and not a
permanent "feature"?

Sincerely,

Chris Conn