[c-nsp] IOS Upgrade to SXI3

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Dec 11 11:40:20 EST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 04:12:59PM +0000, Mackinnon, Ian wrote:
> > Well, in theory it should at least have the benefit of proper memory
> > protection between processes, and thus, less likely to crash the whole
> > box if a process does stupid things.
> >
> Interesting, so given the email earlier today by somebody experiencing
> BGP problems at a well known IX with lots of sessions where the other
> end is shut down, would this have still been an issue?

I'm not really sure what is happening there - but I doubt that modular
would help much with "a process is burning CPU needlessly".

> It's been a while since I looked at modular, but is there not a large
> "IOS" process that is most things in one place anyway?

I'm not exactly sure how it works.  There's different kinds of processes,
some of them having "sub-processes".

The one that has BGP in it is "iprouting.iosproc".  All the "old IOS stuff"
seems to be "ios-base".

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de