[c-nsp] MTU Mismatch

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Dec 31 23:53:57 EST 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 06:36:44 am Jason LeBlanc wrote:

> We have customers segmented on L2/L3 vlans requesting
>  Jumbo frames in various environments.  Some request
>  separate hardware altogether like for Oracle RAC.  How
>  have you guys seen this implemented?

In our network, we've implemented 9,000 bytes across the
entire backbone, edge-to-edge. 9,000 bytes is safe as some
kit can only go so high (that means effective supported MTU
for each customer is slightly less than 9,000 bytes since we
use some for our own MPLS and Layer 2 stuff, but that's
still more than most customers need anyway).

Cheers,

Mark.