[c-nsp] MPLS QoS question about the HOSE model

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 4 02:11:32 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm continuing to try and understand QoS a little better in relation to
applying it to our MPLS VPN network but it seems the more I read about
it the more I'm confused. Not to mention the lack of configuration
examples out there.

I understand that we can provide two QoS solutions for MPLS VPN
customers.

1/ Guaranteed BW at ingress/egress (also known as the HOSE model).
2/ Full QOS deployment with varying class of service based on IPP and/or
DSCP.

In relation to solution 1, I'm not really clear about guaranteeing the
bandwidth at the ingress/egress. Is the bandwidth guarantee in regards
to the physical link connecting the CE to the PE? Or are we giving the
customer a guarantee on the PE to P link (which would make more sense to
me)?

[ CE ] --- 2M/2M ---> [ PE ] ---> [ P ]

Imagine if the customer had a 2M/2M SHDSL connection into the SP's MPLS
network, are we able to for example guarantee a ICR of 256K and ECR of
512K??? And why would we do this when the customer would expect to be
able to send/receive up to 2M because that's what they're paying for.

My thinking is probably flawed, so if anybody could clear up my
misconceptions about the hose model, that would be great!

Thanks.

Andy

Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Please note that
 any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
 author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any