[c-nsp] VACL capture - is this supposed to work

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 03:41:23 EST 2009

We have this config on a 6500/sup720

int Vlan3799
  description upstream
  ip address ...
int Vlan4000
  descripion core
  ip address ...
  mpls ip

vlan filter CAPTURE_HTTP vlan 3799

int Gi9/1
  switchport
  switchport mode access
  switchport access vlan 3799
  switchport capture
  switchport capture allowed vlan 3799

...and the the CAPTURE_HTTP map does:

 1. tcp port 80, capture & forward
 2. ip any any, forward

The intent is to capture inbound and outbound HTTP traffic, and log it
with urlsnarf for legal compliance reasons.

This *HAS* been working for months. However, we did a recent upgrade of
this router to 12.2(33)SXI and it stopped working - the VACL capture
only seems to capture packets outbound i.e. input on Vl4000, out on
Vl3799. It does capture any CPU-punt packets in the other direction.

At first I thought it was a bug in SXI, but we failed our default route
over to another 6500 running SXF9 with the same config, and it suffers
the same problem.

I had wondered if the problem was that the inbound traffic next-hop has
an MPLS label imposed, but the other router is 1 hop away so uses
plain-old IP, and it suffers the same.

So I'm baffled - we have a router that was running SXF10 for months with
this config, no problem. Another with SXF9 doesn't work, nor does the
original router with 12.2(33)SXI.

So, question: exactly what traffic should VACL capture actually
*capture*? Is my config supported?

I have a TAC case open, but we're getting desperate - we need that URL
logging, and a "normal" SPAN port generates way, way too much traffic -
having the ACL to filter a sub-set is important.

sh tcam int vl3799 acl in/out ip det

...shows appropriate TCAM entries with the CAP flag set.

Any pointers gratefully received.