[c-nsp] DS1 provisioning using IP Unnumbered vs /30s

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Feb 6 04:38:42 EST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:09:43PM -0500, Gregory Boehnlein wrote:
> We send our default route out of the
> interface, rather than to the remote gateway IP, so if we change the ip of
> the loopback on our side, we do not need to adjust anything for the
> customer.

I can only second this.  If you have a dedicated point-to-point interface for
things, tacking the route on the interface is usually more robust than
pointing towards a gateway IP that might not be there, or might be learned
recursively over another interface, etc.

For multiaccess-links, *don't* do "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 eth0", of
course (use "... eth0 <gateway_ip>").  Just to make this very clear.

> ip route X.X.X.X 255.255.255.248 Serial10/1/0/3:0 name CustomerRouteA

One can tack a *name* to routes?  Need to test this :-)

Does this name get carried in IGPs?  Or is it just there in the config
to document things?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de