[c-nsp] DS1 provisioning using IP Unnumbered vs /30s

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Feb 6 18:08:47 EST 2009

Gregory Boehnlein wrote:
> This is very similar to what we do. While we have several customers that
> need larger subnets, the majority of our customers are using IP Unnumbered.
>
> In some cases, we will provide the customer a /29 if they need additional
> external IP addresses, but the configuration on their router uses the low IP
> in the /29 as it's loopback interface. We send our default route out of the
> interface, rather than to the remote gateway IP, so if we change the ip of
> the loopback on our side, we do not need to adjust anything for the
> customer.

That's not a bad idea.  Though wouldn't pointing a default at an
interface force it to ARP constantly?  Several hundred CEs ARPing
non-stop could be a load issue on your PE.

I'm not too worried about the loopback's IP changing.  I only put a /24
on the loopback to get us started.  I'll load it with customer DS1s
until I get to around 90% IP utilization and then create another
loopback with another /24 or perhaps a /23 this time around.  I padded
the front of the subnet sufficiently to allow for future HA projects and
the unforeseeable.  I can't foresee ever needing to change the IP on a
loopback once I have it in production.

> We use outbound service policies on unnumbered interfaces just fine:
>
> interface Serial10/1/0/3:0
>  description L3 OH/XXXX/XXXX to XXXXXXX channel 12
>  ip unnumbered Loopback0
>  no ip redirects
>  no ip unreachables
>  no ip proxy-arp
>  service-policy output llq
>  no fair-queue
>  down-when-looped
>  no clns route-cache

Excellent.  QoS was something that occurred to me as I was writing my