[c-nsp] DS1 provisioning using IP Unnumbered vs /30s

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Feb 7 01:08:10 EST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 04:32:03PM -0600, Justin Shore wrote:
> Gert Doering wrote:
> >I can only second this.  If you have a dedicated point-to-point interface
> >for things, tacking the route on the interface is usually more robust than
> >pointing towards a gateway IP that might not be there, or might be learned
> >recursively over another interface, etc.
>
> I'm going to have to think on this.  This could be a good solution for
> us, though again I don't ever foresee the need to re-IP a loopback.  Can
> anyone give me an example of such a scenario?

Well, one example would be "you currently have 3 routers with lots of
individual E1 cables.  Your telco provider offers you to move all the
E1s into a STM-1, and you can serve the same customers from a single
new router".

Now of course you could move all 3 former loopback IPs to the new box and
migrate all customers at once - or assign a single new one, and migrate
them one by one.

(This might not be the most typical example, but "moving customers to a
different router" is happening out there :) - and then you either have
something that's not dependent on the loopback IP, or you have pains)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de