[c-nsp] core OSPF configurations

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:31:50 EST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Brian Spade <bitkraft at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Pete & Pete for your insight.  :-)
>
>  I was hoping to get more feedback from engineers, but this definitely
> helps.

Strange comment.

Anyway, if it was me, I'd:

router ospf <processID>
 passive-interface default
 no passive-interface uplink1
 no passive-interface uplink4
!
interface VlanA
 ip ospf <processID> area <n>
interface VlanZ
 ip ospf <processID> area <n>

I like the "ip ospf area" interface command better than network
statements. It's a personal preference as the end result is the same.

Irrespective of the method you choose, it's easy to get a quick
summary of what interface is in what area with "show ip ospf interface
brief"

One potential benefit of redistributing them is that you'd be able to
summarise all the SVIs into that one area you mentioned. Another is
that in the process of redistributing you could do some route-map
voodoo to make "different stuff" happen.

I guess whether you turn this core router into an ASBR depends on your
current network design (e.g. area design, # of routes, OSPF router
load) and where you see it going in the future. If it's just "how
would you inject these routes into OSPF?", see above.

cheers,
Dale