[c-nsp] Q-in-Q termination on 6500/7600

Marcus.Gerdon Marcus.Gerdon at versatel.de
Tue Feb 10 08:51:44 EST 2009

Hi @all,

I'm looking for information regarding termination of Q-in-Q on 6500 and/or 7600 boxes. We only need plain termination on subinterfaces with IP (somewhere on Cisco called 'IPoQinQ') configured on; no EoMPLS, PPPoE or alike.

As usual Cisco's really annoying as no useful clear information is to be found, and as usual Feature Navigator seems to be missing working configurations (i.e. told me no Q-in-Q on 7200...).

All I could find out rather trustworthy is:

- ES20 and SIP for Local Vlan Significance
- ES20 supports Q-in-Q termination, a lot of tag rewrite functions etc.
- 12.2SR supports Q-in-Q termination (working on 7200)

I only need IP on a subinterface and have no need for all that fancy stuff the ES20 provide (and has to be payed for).

So the question is:

Can someone definitely confirm or reject due to tests or production setup whether Q-in-Q termination on a normal 67xx module (DFC installed) can be configured (encaps dot1q * second *) and by using which IOS ?

6500's running SXI and 7600's running SRx are the ones to look at I think as running SXF presumably won't work at all.

thanks,

Marcus