[c-nsp] Frame-relay to MLPPP traffic shaping and QoS?

Dave Edmondson davee925 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 11:39:23 EST 2009

Hello all,

I have inherited a network used for data, VoIP, and video conferencing. The
central site has a DS3 with a 12 mbps frame-relay interface into a
Juniper-based MPLS and a 12 mbps frame-relay interface to the Internet.

The remote sites on the MPLS network have 2XT1 MLPPP interfaces, with all
Internet access via the central site. My central site has a Cisco 3845
(12.4(3f)) with an NM1-T3/E3 card, the remotes all have Cisco 1841
(12.3(10.3)T2).

We do video conferences between sites on the MPLS and FTP is used to move
multi-gigabyte files from the central site to the remote sites and from
remote site to remote site. Email servers are all at the main site. We are
moving toward central storage as well, so some backups are done from remote
sites to the central site. And they want to provide streaming media for
training...

We are not doing any BGP or OSPF, just static routes. Each site has a /16
assigned.

                         3 meg MLPPP 1841, 10.20.X.X

3 meg MLPPP 1841, 10.20.X.X--- MPLS ---3 meg MLPPP 1841, 10.30.X.X

            DS3 w/12 meg frame relay PVC to 3845, 10.10.X.X

My challenge:

1) Shape traffic or rate limit to 3 megs from the central site to each of
the remote sites so I don't overrun the remote site bandwidth.

2) Apply QoS to traffic destined for each specific remote originating from
the central site, rate-limiting some protocols (like FTP).

I am familiar with QoS configs on MLPPP bundles in Cisco, but I know nothing
about traffic shaping and QoS on frame relay interfaces. If ignorance is
bliss, I've been pretty happy until now....

Suggestions?