[c-nsp] high CPU with snmp IS THERE A REAL FIX

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 10 14:22:13 EST 2009

We are running 12.2.SXI on sup-720-cxl

We use snmp getnext and getbulk to get the ARP table from a router
that has ~16K entries and it takes about 10min to complete, with
ROUTER CPU at 100%.   Our other routers have the same hardware and IOS
but have <10K entries and work fine.

This is an old problem with CISCO and I thought they might have
finally fixed it in SXI, but NOT.

The problem is the ARP entries are stored internally in a hashed
format and SNMP needs them in an ordered format, so for every snmp PDU
the CPU must get the entire ARP table and crunch it to create the
ordered PDU response.  This will take place for as many PDUs as it
takes to retrieve the entire table.   There does appear to be a point
(size of ARP table) at which it takes very long to retrieve the whole
table which seems to be around 12K but with a 16K table it takes
forever.

In the attached PDF from CISCO they explain the problem and also state
the if you turn on CEF (has always been on for long time) that it is
much faster since the FIB is already in a lexical order that snmp
likes.   Since CEF is always on, why does it still take so long.