[c-nsp] VTP domain.

Keith kwoody at citytel.net
Tue Feb 10 20:05:48 EST 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Mark Tinka wrote:

|->On Wednesday 11 February 2009 03:02:41 am Keith wrote:
|->
|->> The 3550 being replaced has no vtp domain name. Is it
|->> possible to remove the vtp domain name without deleting
|->> the vlan.dat file? I have looked over the TAC but see
|->> nothing really regarding removing a vtp domain name. Lots
|->> about adding one, not about removing one.
|->
|->No clear way to do this, today, without deleting the
|->'vlan.dat' file. Wish that could be fixed.
|->
|->But like you and others have said, maintaining VTP
|->Transparent mode will ensure it stays away from VTP.
|->
|->We used to "manually" clear VTP domain names, but recently
|->found a batch of switches that had them configured. It's too
|->much work to clear that, but we just say "no" to VTP anyway.

Yes, not being able to delete a vtp domain name seems like something that
should be able to be done from the command line, but there must be a good
reason for it. I have only played with vtp in our lab rack of gear, never
used it in a real network.

Looking through the archives of this list, I see some have had some bad
experiences with vtp. Something I wish to avoid.

I have put the switch in transparent mode so it will not send/recieve vtp
updates, just in case.

Thanks,
Keith