[c-nsp] OSM-1OC48-POS-SS(+) for 7600/6500

sandmaier at schlund.net sandmaier at schlund.net
Thu Feb 12 07:26:50 EST 2009

Hi all,

does anybody know what the differences are between OSM-1OC48-POS-SS and
OSM-1OC48-POS-SS+ ?

AFAIK the differences only concern QoS.

I'm not sure if my assumptions are true:

The OSM has a 8 GBps uplink in the Sup-SF and use the PFC for the
forwarding decision (IPv4/6/MPLS) and QoS marking/policing, while PXF is
used for queuing/scheduling. Not sure if LLQ, CBWFQ, WRED is completely
unsupported on the !+ or if there are only limitations.

Is this historically with the exception of the queuing/scheduling stuff?:
OSR were originally designed for the 7600OSR and used this PXF (parallel
xpress forwarding) directly on the linecard for forwarding and
everything else. The enhanced version has for PXF double Route Table
Memory and Packet Processing Memory and 4 times Backet Buffer, 6Mpps to
3Mpps throughput, more queues and VRFs and enhanced QoS (LLQ, CBWFQ, WRED).

Thanks,
Jan