[c-nsp] EoMPLS - port mode to vlan mode

Laurent Geyer lgeyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 12:02:10 EST 2009

Hey there.

Does anybody here happen to have any experience working with pseudo
wires that are port-tunneled on one side and vlan-tunneled on the
other? Having a bear of a time trying to figure out why I cannot pass
any traffic over a vc that's configured in this fashion.

Switch A (7609/rsp720-3cxl-10ge) ------ MPLS ------ Switch B
(7609/rsp720-3cxl-10ge)

Both switches have LAN cards only (no SIP or FlexWAN here) and run 12.2(33)SRC3

Switch A
-------------
interface GigabitEthernet2/1
 mtu 9216
 no ip address
 load-interval
 speed nonegotiate
 xconnect <Switch B IP> 100 encapsulation mpls
end

Switch B
-------------
interface TenGigabitEthernet3/1
 mtu 9216
 no ip address
 load-interval 30
end

interface TenGigabitEthernet3/1.100
 encapsulation dot1Q 100
 xconnect <Switch A IP> 100 encapsulation mpls
end

The VC comes up fine on both sides, but the only way I can get any
traffic to pass is if I'm either vlan-tunneled or port-tunneled on
both sides.

So far I'm hearing conflicting things from TAC on whether this will
work or not. The maddening part is that we already have VCs in place
where type 4 to type 5 VCs work just fine. The difference in at least
one of the working cases is that the port-tunneled VC is on a 6500
running 12.2(18)SXF9.

I'm a bit apprehensive about debugging this issue in production right
now and TAC has been slow to get back with me so I'd appreciate any
feedback.

Thanks,

Laurent