[c-nsp] 7600 SVI + Subinterface Question

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Fri Feb 13 14:21:46 EST 2009

Hi folks...

I believe the answer is no but worth asking... we have a large VLAN database
on some 6500's with VTP running.  On one of these 7600's we have many SVI
interfaces which in turn are trunked on GigE's to other layer2 switches...

We have a client coming onboard that we need to possibly send about 60
layer3 connections over a GigE trunk connection but the requested VLAN
numbers are mostly already in use on the 7600.  Without getting into other
options can I do the following??

Interface vlan 300
Descr test test
Ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.248

Interface GigE9/1
Switchport mode trunk
Switchport trunk allowed vlan 300

Interface GigE9/8.300
Descr Another customer
IP address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.240

I realize this gets mapped to internal VLAN's but in this case will those
VLAN's co-exist or conflict?

Thanks,

Paul