[c-nsp] 7600 SVI + Subinterface Question

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Feb 13 15:49:12 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 14:21 -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
> I believe the answer is no but worth asking... we have a large VLAN database
> on some 6500's with VTP running.  On one of these 7600's we have many SVI
> interfaces which in turn are trunked on GigE's to other layer2 switches...
>
> We have a client coming onboard that we need to possibly send about 60
> layer3 connections over a GigE trunk connection but the requested VLAN
> numbers are mostly already in use on the 7600.  Without getting into other
> options can I do the following??
>
> Interface vlan 300
> Descr test test
> Ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.248
>
> Interface GigE9/1
> Switchport mode trunk
> Switchport trunk allowed vlan 300
>
> Interface GigE9/8.300
> Descr Another customer
> IP address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.240
>
> I realize this gets mapped to internal VLAN's but in this case will those
> VLAN's co-exist or conflict?

If you also want to use "encapsulation dot1q 300" on Gi9/8.300 it will
not work. The box will complain that VLAN 300 is already in use.

Furthermore you cannot use VTP and dot1q subinterfaces together. You
need to use transparent VTP mode for that.

You might use VLAN Mapping in order to provide services for their VLANs
but with your numbering.

Regards,
Peter